[ros-users] The future of ROS 2.0 protocol changes

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Mon Sep 15 15:29:32 UTC 2014

I appreciated the talks from Dirk and William about the DDS decision and
the future of the APIs— I like the look of this future, especially the
effort to unify node/nodelet APIs so that the decision to run nodes in many
processes vs one is made at launch time rather than at authoring time.

I don't feel at all thrown under the bus by DDS/2.0; much as we did with
catkin, Clearpath will continue to use the legacy tools for a period of
time while we evaluate the new hotness, and then gradually switch our
software over, probably beginning with peripheral drivers and generic
components, and finishing with the platform software itself.

That said, some concerns:

   - As raised during the Q&A, it is critical that ROS 2.0 reverse the
   trend of making each ROS release harder and harder to get into, learn
   about, and get started with. Given the state of things presently, it's a
   very legitimate concern that a further fracturing of documentation/tutorial
   effort could render ROS 2.0 completely inaccessible to anyone who was not
   already an expert in ROS 1.x. It'll be important than the majority of
   documentation explaining ROS 2.0 is targeted at non-users, not migrating
   ROS 1.0 users.
   - Along these same lines, the installation
   <http://wiki.ros.org/indigo/Installation/Ubuntu> needs to get shorter
   and simpler— rosdep, rosinstall, and wstool should be installed
   automatically, and the rosdep (xylem?) init/update should be part of its
   install, not a separate step. For ROS 2.0's supported platforms, I feel we
   should strive to offer a "one step setup", perhaps a homebrew-like python
   -e "$(curl -fsSLhttps://ros.org/install)", or a downloadable "install
   deb" with an installation walk-through. Power users might still prefer to
   do everything their own way, but for the majority, especially those getting
   started for the first time, I feel strongly that it should be a one-click
   affair.
   - I'm unsure if the future of ROS community docs are the wiki or some
   version-controlled sphinx-type thing, but either way, having a ROS1/2
   switcher like the rosbuild/catkin one isn't enough. There are still
   rosbuild-centric tutorial pages on the ROS wiki— how about a warning box
   which appears automatically on wiki pages which haven't been thumb-upped in
   the last 6 months, perhaps combined with a "hot list" page that shows
   warning boxed pages sorted by traffic to them. (This doesn't need to wait
   for ROS 2.0; it would be great to have immediately...)
   - ROS is more than just a generic publish/subscribe middleware— a lot
   more. I'm glad to hear about the intent to fix the parameter service, but
   what about issues specific to robotics, like runtime dynamic URDF, or
   multimaster? These are tough problems, and it'd be great to see OSRF take a
   really active role in solving these, either by spearheading development, or
   providing direct counsel-to and endorsement-of other groups working on
   these. ROS is long overdue for an officially-blessed "do your multi-robot
   system *this* way", where "this way" is a solution which handles
   discovery, reasonably propagates namespaced, rate-limited TF data, and is
   also not completely different in simulation.

Hope that's helpful. Thanks again for a great ROSCon.

Mike

>>> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP-NG/Activity.htmlGnutella 2 <
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnutella2>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnutella2
>>> Control System Messenger) API. The RCSM implements a plugin architecture
>>> that allows multiple robot operating system clients to be
>>> registered/accessed, run simultaneously, and inter operate together, or
>>> simply to plugin a single client such as the Happy Artist ROS Client for
>>> TCPROS/UDPROS.  As a ROS user this allows any protocol to plugin, and work
>>> from any 3rd party vendor DDS implementation, TCPROS/UDPROS, or any other