[ros-users] The future of ROS 2.0 protocol changes

Jenkins, Odest Chadwicke cjenkins at cs.brown.edu
Wed Sep 17 15:12:58 UTC 2014

William,

I respectfully disagree with pushing discussions on high-level issues (like
this) to a sig.

Hai's question pertains directly to core changes in the ROS protocols.  He
makes a clear argument for why interoperability with the web should be part
of the core scope of ROS, and not treated as an disconnected component.

Usability is a high-level concern for ROS and ROS 2.0, especially for
front-end development, broader accessibility (e.g., outside of a LAN,
without requiring super user privileges), and cross-platform performance.
 Towards this, Hai makes a very good points about ROS front-ends being
limited to Ubuntu/rViz and ROS/rosbridge having room for improvement, and
whether DDS addresses these limitations.  Given the magnitude of the ROS
2.0 transition, these points should be addressed among the larger
community, as was done with ros-users at the beginnings of ROS over five
years ago.

Thus, I would ask again that discussions related to ROS-ROS2.0 transitions
remain on ros-users until there is some larger consensus.  While this
requires some people to bear through some additional messages, engaging the
larger community in this discussion will be better for everyone in the long
run such that we do not "throw the current ROS users under the bus."

-Chad