[ros-users] The future of ROS 2.0 protocol changes

William Woodall william at osrfoundation.org
Tue Sep 16 18:43:58 UTC 2014

Can we please keep topics like supporting communication with browsers on
the ng-sig? I have already asked Hai off channel to repost over to the sig,
which he has and I have since responded there too.

I understand the want to discuss high level concerns about ROS 2.0 on
ros-user's, which is fine, but we should really strive to keep the traffic
here low (we get a lot of complaints about the traffic on this list from
technical discussions and support questions).

Thanks,

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Jonathan Bohren <jonathan.bohren at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 1:43 PM, Hai Nguyen <haidai at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not particularly familiar with DDS, but does it work nicely with
>> browsers? either through some sort of translation or better yet, natively?
>> I'm interested as the current ROS to WebSockets bridge is particularly
>> ugly: the bridge has to subscribe to all the messages that any web client
>> would need to listen to and then rebroadcast them, which introduces
>> additional delays making it horribly painful to use for things like teleop
>> with large messages like images or point clouds.
>>

> This looks promising:
> http://www.prismtech.com/blog/dds-web-programming-dscript
>
> -j
>
> --
> Jonathan Bohren
> Laboratory for Computational Sensing and Robotics
> http://dscl.lcsr.jhu.edu/People/JonathanBohren

William Woodall
ROS Development Team
william at osrfoundation.org