[ros-users] Call for Openni2 PPA maintainer

William Woodall william at osrfoundation.org
Wed Apr 22 22:12:22 UTC 2015

At the end of the day, we're looking for someone to take responsibility for
it, no matter how it is distributed. So to me the distribution mechanism is
up for discussion.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Jochen Sprickerhof via ros-users <
ros-users at lists.ros.org> wrote:

> Hi Tully,
>
> wouldn't it be actually easier to add support for proper packaged source
> debs to the ROS build system?

I don't see a good reason for us to duplicate the functionality of PPA's.
I'm not experienced using them (PPA's), is there a compelling reason not to
use them?

> I have a bunch of packages I would like to
> have in ROS but still need time before submitting them to Debian. I
> think it should be as easy as adding the git-buildpackage repo to the
> distribution.yaml and let it build by the ROS autobuilders (bonus points
> for a dput like interface).

We provide REP-136 for this: http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0136.html

One of the reason REP-136 exists is that if you only setup a Debian rules
file then the people using Fedora, using OS X, or building from source are
still out of luck. If you follow REP-136 (which isn't that bad imo) then
you provide a path for all of them.

In the case of Openni2, doing this would lead to asymmetry with Fedora and
OS X where Openni2 is in the package managers, so that's why we would
prefer to have a PPA. The PPA plus Tully's import is the least work in my
opinion. Plus the PPA is more accessible (better understood) by people
outside of the ROS community which might be interested in using openni2
without ROS.

On a side note, what do you need a dput interface for? I guess uploading
hand crafted debs?

> I guess we would only need to relax some of
> the awakward bloom assumptions in there.

Can you explain what you mean? The output of bloom can be built (is built)
with git-buildpackage and though by default it installs into a ROS prefix
of `/opt/ros/<rosdistro>` it can be used to make debs that go into `/usr`
as well.

> Cheers Jochen

William Woodall
ROS Development Team