[ros-users] Givving ROS an Official DockerHub Image

William Woodall william at osrfoundation.org
Sat Feb 7 06:01:42 UTC 2015

Ruffin,

We're actively using Docker in the new build farm that we are currently
developing [1]. I think it's awesome and could even be really good for
deploying ROS onto robots in the future. But I wonder, for end users who
want to use graphical tools like rviz and rqt does Docker provide a good
option for that? I've been watching some work like
https://github.com/rogaha/docker-desktop which seems to imply it can , but
I haven't tried running things like rviz in Docker before.

I think having official Docker images for the core, non-graphical parts of
ROS make total sense, and maybe more if the graphical tools also end up
working with Docker too.

--

[1] http://wiki.ros.org/buildfarm

William Woodall