[ros-users] Error after last ROS updates

William Woodall william at osrfoundation.org
Tue Jan 13 19:16:33 UTC 2015

There is a answers.ros.org question for this now (or there already was):

http://answers.ros.org/question/200885/could-not-load-library-after-latest-ros-updates/

Either way, Enrico please use answers.ros.org for this type of question in
the future. If it then turns out to be systemic then you can escalate it to
the issue trackers.

Please have a look at our Support guidelines: http://wiki.ros.org/Support

Thanks,

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 5:08 AM, Enrico Corvaglia <enrico988 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks Mike,
> but I've already tried your solution. By the way, reading the error
> carefully I noticed that the path of the library is parsed as
> */home/enrico/catkin_ws/devel/lib//libkuka_controllers.so*
> The problem seems to lie in the double // after lib, maybe after a change
> in the catkin package source code. Unfortunately I didn't succeed to solve
> this issue yet.

>> That does look like an ABI problem. Did you definitely sudo apt-get
>> dist-upgrade, and then rebuild your workspace (eg, rm -rf build devel;
>> catkin_make; source devel/setup.bash)?
>>
>> (This type of question is best for ROS Answers, I think...)
>>
>> On 13 January 2015 at 06:28, Enrico Corvaglia <enrico988 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello to all the community.
>>> I'm writing this since I'm encountering errors when I launch my custom
>>> controllers written for a KUKA LWR arm, used in combination with Gazebo
>>> simulator. The error comes when I run the roslaunch command which loads
>>> such controllers.
>>>
>>> *[ERROR] [1421148091.366974261, 5.814000000]: Could not load class
>>> kuka_controllers/BacksteppingController: Failed to load library
>>> /home/enrico/catkin_ws/devel/lib//libkuka_controllers.so. Make sure that
>>> you are calling the PLUGINLIB_EXPORT_CLASS macro in the library code, and
>>> that names are consistent between this macro and your XML. Error string:
>>> Could not load library (Poco exception =
>>> /home/enrico/catkin_ws/devel/lib//libkuka_controllers.so: undefined symbol:
>>> _ZN26forward_command_controller24ForwardCommandControllerIN18hardware_interface20EffortJointInterfaceEE8startingERKN3ros4TimeE)*
>>> *[ERROR] [1421148091.367239553, 5.814000000]: Could not load controller
>>> 'BacksteppingController' because controller type
>>> 'kuka_controllers/BacksteppingController' does not exist.*
>>> *[ERROR] [1421148091.367296142, 5.814000000]: Use 'rosservice call
>>> controller_manager/list_controller_types' to get the available types*
>>>
>>> The weird thing is that running the command suggested by ROS (rosservice
>>> call [...]) it actually returns all my controllers names. This error has
>>> been introduced after the last ROS software updates and before that it was
>>> working just fine. Also I have a call to PLUGINLIB_EXPORT_CLASS in my
>>> source, so it is not that the problem.
>>>
>>> As a note, the ROS built-in position controllers work, so it seems like
>>> a linking or a parsing error.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Enrico C.

William Woodall