[ros-users] Jade Beta

Dirk Thomas dthomas at osrfoundation.org
Thu Jun 4 18:31:42 UTC 2015

We do (or more precisely OSUOSL does) have control over the docs.ros.org
webserver.

Currently the "api" folder itself is a symlink to "jade/api".
So if a package "foo" does not have any documentation in "jade" then
"api/foo" simply doesn't exist.

The proposed dummy html files for every package in every distro which
doesn't have documentation is not sufficient imo.
This way deep linking (e.g. "api/foo/something/myinfo.html") would still
fail.

Instead we could have a script (e.g. PHP) intercepting all URLs under "api"
and redirect the client to the "api" of the latest rosdistro which contains
the requested URL.
E.g. "api/foo/something/myinfo.html" gets redirected to
"indigo/api/foo/something/myinfo.html" since
"indigo/api/foo/something/myinfo.html" does not exist.
This could also be achieved with a mod_rewrite rule (but I am not sure if
mod_rewrite allows to specify the rules in a way which doesn't require
future distros to be added manually).

If anybody would like to contribute such a script / ruleset that would be
great.
I am not sure when we would find the time to work on this.

Cheers,
- Dirk