[ros-users] Jade Beta

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Wed Jun 3 13:55:38 UTC 2015

Relatedly, I'm wondering if the server config for docs.ros.org/api could be
modified to fall back to the most recent available distro. So, for example,

http://docs.ros.org/api/roscpp/html/ is a symlink/copy of
http://docs.ros.org/jade/api/roscpp/html/

But

http://docs.ros.org/api/hardware_interface/html/ is a 302 redirect to
http://docs.ros.org/indigo/api/hardware_interface/html/ (until ros_control
is released for Jade)

It's frustrating trying to balance giving users URLs which will be "always
current" with the reality that some stuff can't be released immediately
into the new distro and therefore all the /api URLs break.

If you guys have control over the webserver, this fallback behaviour is
pretty easy to set up in nginx or Apache. Alternatively, you could simply
generate in the /api folder dummy pages which announce to the user "This
package's documentation isn't available in ROS Jade, please select a
previous distro from the list below." Though, a transparent redirect is
ideal, as it would work with deep links also.

M.