[ros-users] ROS 2.0 Strategy review

Thibault Kruse tibokruse at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 1 21:16:35 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 10:11 PM, G.A. vd. Hoorn - 3ME via ros-users
<ros-users at lists.ros.org> wrote:
> On 1-10-2015 21:39, Thibault Kruse via ros-users wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 5:09 PM, Brian Gerkey via ros-users wrote:
>>> We're very aware of the need for a migration plan.  To that end, we're
>>> maintaining a migration guide as we do new development:
>>>   http://design.ros2.org/articles/migration_guide_from_ros1.html
>>
>> That guide is a nice overview of the migration of a hello-world node.
>> So let's list what is missing from this migration example:
>>
>> <long list of things>
> [..]
>
> Thibault,
>
> I share some of your concerns, but in this case you're not really being
> fair: Brian explicitly stated that this is a migration guide "that we're
> maintaining [..] as we no new development".
>
> Since many of the things you list have not been developed yet, it's not
> really a surprise they are not mentioned in that document.

I did not want to imply that the guide should already provide solutions.
The guide is great in itself.

But when we talk about the migration effort today, we should already
be aware of all aspects that we can know about.

That way we can more realistically estimate the future effort,
rather than when we only look at minimal examples.

So for the discussion today, the guide is not too helpful,
that's what I was trying to point out.