[ros-users] Debian Packaging

Jochen Sprickerhof ros-users at jochen.sprickerhof.de
Thu Oct 29 15:01:45 UTC 2015

Hi Javier,

A group of us is working on packaging ROS for Debian [1]. You can find
more information in the Debian Wiki [2] and we have an IRC channel to
coordinate as well [3]. Feel free to join there, help is always welcome.

Debian has a rather strict policy how packages should look like, for
example no files in /opt, Sonames, splitting of development and library
packages. So the packages provided by OSRF are not ready to go into the
Debian archive. Our aim is to build policy compliant packages and we
have already done so for most of the ROS base system, i.e.
ros-desktop-full. Currently we are doing some last polishing, before we
will start uploading them.

Cheers Jochen

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2015/10/msg00024.html
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Robotics/ROS
[3] irc://irc.debian.org/debian-robotics