[ros-users] nimbro_network: Multi-master ROS network solution

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Tue Sep 22 16:51:50 UTC 2015

> No, tf is copied across as it is. Also, our system has no message
> introspection capabilities, so changing fields inside a message would be
> difficult. Our policy so far has been to avoid TF name clashes across all
> systems. This is certainly annoying in multi-robot scenarios, but I haven't
> seen a nice, completely robust solution yet.

Hugely annoying, yes. The gold standard for ROS multimaster is definitely
when each individual robot looks exactly like a non-multimaster robot, and
can be added to the multimaster system with no modifications to its
underlying launchfiles, topics, diagnostic outputs, TF frames, etc. But
that obviously requires some sophistication at the robot boundary to handle
translation. And it gets interesting in sim, for.... well, a variety of
reasons.

No one has released an end-to-end solution yet, but we're working on it too
<http://www.clearpathrobotics.com/coming-soon>, of course. :)

M.