[ros-users] Upcoming suspention of debian packaging for EOL Ubuntu distros

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Wed Feb 3 21:59:25 UTC 2016

Hi Everyone,

As some of you may have been aware we have always planned to drop support
for EOL'd Ubuntu distros, however we have not done so due to our build farm
not being able to disable the builds without breaking users operating from
source.

As announced last week we have rolled out our new build farm. One of the
new features of the new build farm is that we can now disable specific
target platforms for building new packages without removing all references
to the target platform. This allows users to keep using the older distros
if they want to continue building from source. And as always we will
continue to keep the existing debian packages available. The only
difference is that we no longer will be releasing updates.

For Indigo and Jade the Ubuntu distributions Saucy and Utopic have already
reached their end of life. And Vivid's EOL is tomorrow. (See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases for EOL dates.)  And as such we plan to
stop building for those platforms by the end of this month.

For maintainers we are staging a sync at the moment. We expect one final
sync in the middle of February to be the final one before we turn off the
builds for Saucy,  Utopic, and Vivid. Please keep that in mind as you plan
your upcoming releases.

In the future when other Ubuntu versions reach EOL we expect to stop
building for them promptly after the EOL date since at that time Ubuntu
will also no longer be providing updates as well.

Tully