[ros-users] Upcoming suspention of debian packaging for EOL Ubuntu distros

Jochen Sprickerhof ros-users at jochen.sprickerhof.de
Thu Feb 4 18:37:26 UTC 2016

Hi,

* Dirk Thomas via ros-users <ros-users at lists.ros.org> [2016-02-04 10:25]:
> @Severin: Currently the following ROS packages are in Debian and will
> likely be imported for Xenial: http://pastebin.com/aVk8Wy6q As you can see
> it is only a very small number of packages (~ROS base). OSRF will continue
> to ship its own Debian packages for a very simple reason: we need to be
> able to release patches which the Debian policy doesn't allow. If you look
> at the ROS base packages in Indigo and how they evolved over the life time
> it is obvious that we need this ability.

We are working on completing desktop-full, the current state can be seen
here: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Robotics/ROS/Packages

One of the points of Debian is to have stable releases which can't be
changed, so there is always the guaranty that you get the same package.
On the other hand there is testing and unstable, which is a rolling
release where you always get the latest packages. Note that Ubuntu is
forking what's in unstable/testing for their releases, so you should get
quite up to date packages.

> @Mike: I completely see your point. Imo the Python tools should be made
> available as soon as a new Ubuntu distro becomes available (basically
> before it is even alpha). But when I suggested this before is was decided
> not to be a priority. Maybe you can express this on the Kinetic release
> ticket (https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/issues/9945) so that it will be
> added to the procedure for the next Ubuntu distro.

Afaik we packaged most python tools already, feel free to ping me if
some are missing, we should be able to push them into unstable without
much effort.

Cheers Jochen