[ros-users] Upcoming suspention of debian packaging for EOL Ubuntu distros

Dirk Thomas dthomas at osrfoundation.org
Thu Feb 4 18:25:29 UTC 2016

@Severin: Currently the following ROS packages are in Debian and will
likely be imported for Xenial: http://pastebin.com/aVk8Wy6q As you can see
it is only a very small number of packages (~ROS base). OSRF will continue
to ship its own Debian packages for a very simple reason: we need to be
able to release patches which the Debian policy doesn't allow. If you look
at the ROS base packages in Indigo and how they evolved over the life time
it is obvious that we need this ability.

@Mike: I completely see your point. Imo the Python tools should be made
available as soon as a new Ubuntu distro becomes available (basically
before it is even alpha). But when I suggested this before is was decided
not to be a priority. Maybe you can express this on the Kinetic release
ticket (https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/issues/9945) so that it will be
added to the procedure for the next Ubuntu distro.

Thank you,
- Dirk