[ros-users] msg wire format specification

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Fri Jan 15 19:18:29 UTC 2016

Hi Jeremy,

There's a section at the top of http://wiki.ros.org/Support which talks
about the mailing list. I've added a larger heading to make it more
obvious.

A long time ago everyone asked questions on the ros-users mailing list,
however as our scale grew that became unmanageable our inboxes were
overflowing. We now service 25-30 questions per day on answers.ros.org
sometimes with several comments and alternative answers which would be
potentially 100+ emails per day on the mailing list. Furthermore mailing
list archives are not great for finding solutions quickly when searching.

Our goal is to keep ros-users as a place where we recommend everyone
subscribe to get important messages and announcements which are relevant to
the entire community. And it's also an appropriate place for general
purpose discussions. Many discussions which are relevant to subcommunities
are recommended to take place on our special interest groups:
http://wiki.ros.org/sig

There has even been requests to find ways to lower the current volume on
this list for which we're also working on solutions for that.

Tully