[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Make Ament work with another build system (for cross-compilation)

Dirk Thomas ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 19:13:46 UTC 2017

[quote="astralien3000, post:1, topic:2382"]
but I cant use the Ament build system for managing the cross-compilation.
[/quote]

`ament_cmake` is only providing some additional features on top of CMake. Therefore you should be able to do any kind of cross compilation which is possible with CMake (if not that would be a bug and should be fixed). If you clarify why you think you can't use it for cross-compilation someone might be able to suggest / help with it.

[quote]
Since I still need Ament to generate rosidl things, I think it would be great to make the two work together.
[/quote]

The build system `ament_cmake` is not related to the `rosidl` message generation. Each message generator has a command line interface which you can call from anywhere else. Thee generators have a significant amount of parameters though. The CMake provided by `rosidl_cmake` only helps you with the invocation of these command line tools.

[quote]
Is there a way to tell Ament to only export sources/headers (generated or not), and not compile it ?
[/quote]

No, CMake can not be used like that.

[quote]
Is there a way to call the RIOT makefiles from Ament ?
[/quote]

You can call arbitrary external commands from within CMake. I think [ExternalProjects](https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.5/module/ExternalProject.html) would be appropriate for this which you will find in the CMake docs.

[quote]
Is there a way to export the path where Ament have copied the sources to an other build system ?

How to manage the target hardware ? Is Ament able to switch between different rosidl, rmw, build systems when the final ROS node is supposed to be cross-compiled ?
[/quote]

I don't understand these questions. Maybe you can elaborate what you mean.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/make-ament-work-with-another-build-system-for-cross-compilation/2382/2) or reply to this email to respond.