[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Best way to integrate a prismatic joint with MoveIt!

Juan Miguel Jimeno ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 12:48:13 UTC 2017

Hi Guys,

I'm currently building a "service robot" based on a 6 DOF arm and a mecanum base. The hardware's pretty much done as well as the robot arm's  MoveIt! configuration: https://github.com/grassjelly/ros_braccio_moveit .![IMG_1609|311x500](/uploads/ros/original/1X/6d6f46d84b6423110d8376243a615a8822945638.JPG)

Now I want to add a vertical linear actuator ( prismatic joint ) so the arm's height can be adjusted. Just wondering what would be the best approach in doing this?

Should I add the prismatic joint in the MoveIt configuration as part of the arm group? Does the default kinematics solver support this?

Or create a separate controller for the linear actuator? This probably means I need to call an actionlib to move the linear actuator first then call the MoveIt API when I want to pick up an object?

Thanks in advance! :D Cheers!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/best-way-to-integrate-a-prismatic-joint-with-moveit/2471/1) or reply to this email to respond.