[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Development setup for multiple ROS distros?

Shokman ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 14:41:29 UTC 2017

I've been using docker for a while and it works very well. Ii is not perfect, and using software that requires to use graphic tools is tricky but it allows you to have 14.04 and 16.04 in the same computer. I use tmux to handle the "one application" issue, since I am used to use it outside docker that is not a problem

As I said, the only thing that takes some time to get working are the graphical applications. Docker requires to use the same drivers on the image and on the host. It is a matter of know your configuration. But once that is done I've been able to run RVIZ without any issue. I actually use Docker and Gazebo together without any problem.

So if I can give you some tips from my experience:

- Use tmux
- Take your time to get the graphics configuration working properly, even if you don't need it at the beginning, it can be an issue later.
- Be careful with the disk usage, docker can take its space on your disk when you use multiple images, it is a matter of periodically clean unused containers and layers.
- Use transparent network configuration, this allows you to work with a remote ROS node/master.
- Use a script to start your container (especially how to mount the folders that you want and the graphics card configuration)

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/development-setup-for-multiple-ros-distros/1280/3) or reply to this email to respond.