[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] Deterministic replay and debugging

Davide Faconti ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 10:28:34 UTC 2017

I have the feeling that what @janismac is looking for is this: [https://github.com/mozilla/rr](https://github.com/mozilla/rr)

But let's take a step back in this discussion.

We have two ways to debug our applications, both these approaches have their limitations and advantages.

**1. Using classical debugging tools like GDB, which interrupt execution through breakpoints.**

The "breakpoints" approach does not work well in multiprocess and real-time applications, as we all know (you can not alter the execution of a distributed system or a control loop without modifying its behavior).

**2. Using logging and visualization tools.**

I am personally in favor of the "**log absolutely everything**" approach. This is what I am working on, i.e. good visualization tools (in addition to the awesome Rviz) and VERY low overhead logging libraries. I don't know how far I can go into the rabbit's hole but I will try anyway ;)

--
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/deterministic-replay-and-debugging/1316/5) or reply to this email to respond.