[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Release] Is it a good practice to force `RPATH` to be embedded in the installed targets?

Mani ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 18:04:00 UTC 2017

Thanks @Martin_Guenther and @de-vri-es for your insights and comments.

@Martin_Guenther

I really liked the `env`-based method. I've never fully understood how `env` tag is deprecated but is still referenced in the documentation. Does your method work on *Kinetic*? I've seen the wrapper script method mentioned by @de-vri-es in other projects. I think I will go with that solution for now. The downside is running any node via `rosrun` CLI is going to be a hassle for end users.

> In short, my view boils down to this: maintainers / developers shouldn't mess with RPATHs, but users/packagers can have valid reasons. Of course you may be both at the same time, but you should still keep the separation in mind since other users/packagers may not want an RPATH in the installed targets.

Good point!

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/is-it-a-good-practice-to-force-rpath-to-be-embedded-in-the-installed-targets/1335/4) or reply to this email to respond.