[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Is it a good practice to force `RPATH` to be embedded in the installed targets?

Martin Günther ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 20:51:20 UTC 2017

[quote="mani, post:4, topic:1335"]
I really liked the env-based method. I've never fully understood how env tag is deprecated but is still referenced in the documentation. Does your method work on Kinetic?
[/quote]

It definitely still works on Indigo, and I suspect it also works in Kinetic.

[quote]
I've seen the wrapper script method mentioned by @de-vri-es in other projects. I think I will go with that solution for now. The downside is running any node via rosrun CLI is going to be a hassle for end users.
[/quote]

Why? They can directly `rosrun` the wrapper script, so that's a point for the wrapper script.

On the other hand, the `env` element has the advantage that you can easily use launch file args to specify the location of the other libraries (like the `basler_tof_path` arg in my example above).

For a non-deprecated alternative to the `env` element, I like the suggestion by @de-vri-es to call the `env` command instead. You could even put it into the `launch-prefix` element of the roslaunch XML node tag.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/is-it-a-good-practice-to-force-rpath-to-be-embedded-in-the-installed-targets/1335/7) or reply to this email to respond.