[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [TurtleBot] Using NUC with Kobuki

fabianbl ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 20:20:21 UTC 2017

Hi!

We are also using Turtlebot (version 1) with an i7 NUC which actually requires 19V / 65 W. So far, we didn't use any DC/DC converters or something similar, but instead, we powered the NUC directly from the 12V / 5A output port on the Kobuki.

This is certainly not ideal, and we experienced the NUC shutting down because of a "processor thermal trip" after some time (sometimes only 30 mins when the Kobuki battery would still last for long). First we thought it's a problem with the NUC (old thermal paste or something), but later we realized that the output voltage from the Kobuki is monotonically decreasing and will be too low at some point. This seems to have caused the overheating problems then.

Either [DCDC-NUC](http://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-NUC) or [OpenUPS](http://www.mini-box.com/OpenUPS) seem like good solutions for this problem, but I'm not very experienced with DC-DC converters or UPS and I'm glad for any advice.

Can anyone tell me if this would be a good buy for more reliable mobile NUC operation?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/using-nuc-with-kobuki/489/5) or reply to this email to respond.