[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS/Troubleshooting] ROS2 beta on Ubuntu 16.04 fails

Tully Foote ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 23:44:49 UTC 2017

[quote="wjwwood, post:5, topic:1236"]
That's surprising since we've never run into this on our Xenial machines. Perhaps you have a flavor of Ubuntu that is setting some additional security settings? According to their wiki you can set LD_LIBRARY_PATH so long as it is in an interactive shell:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables#File-location_related_variables

This sounds like one of the features macOS's SIP system (which we have to disable to get our binaries to work on macOS):

    en.wikipedia.org

System Integrity Protection

System Integrity Protection (SIP, sometimes referred to as rootless) is a security feature of Apple's macOS operating system introduced in OS X El Capitan. It comprises a number of mechanisms that are enforced by the kernel. A centerpiece is the protection of system-owned files and directories against modifications by processes without a specific "entitlement", even when executed by the root user or a user with root privileges (sudo). Apple says that the root user can be a significant risk factor...
[/quote]

I ran into this reference suggesting that if you're in the group utmp it will be removed?

https://superuser.com/questions/27376/why-does-my-ld-library-path-get-unset-launching-terminal

@ufechner7 are you running your tests inside a temporary user account or have you turned on higher than usual security?

In the man for ld.so(8)
```
       LD_LIBRARY_PATH
              A  list  of  directories  in  which to search for ELF libraries at execution-time.  The items in the list are separated by
              either colons or semicolons.  Similar to the PATH environment variable.  This  variable  is  ignored  in  secure-execution
              mode.
```

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-beta-on-ubuntu-16-04-fails/1236/8) or reply to this email to respond.