[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Avoiding Small Obstacles on the Gruond

Procópio Stein ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 11:28:40 UTC 2017

Sorry, I guess I was being overzealous...

Adding to the discussion:

Indeed I can detect most objects that are 3 cm in height, using the usual
sensors. And, as @AlexReimann stated, the biggest issue I had was properly
filtering the ground, as many sensors have a distortion in measurements and
that error grows with its distance from the ground. I would not recommend
the Orbbecs for this task as they suffer from a drift problem that would
invalidate the calibration after a couple of hours (
https://3dclub.orbbec3d.com/t/optical-frame-change-due-to-temperature/536).

But if you want go to under 3 cm that would be a bit harder... Maybe
installing the sensor very close to the ground and looking forward?
Or if you want to go with image processing, it would be relatively easy to
detect objects using color segmentation, for example.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/avoiding-small-obstacles-on-the-gruond/1939/4) or reply to this email to respond.