[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] UUID in std_msgs

Tully Foote ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 18:42:24 UTC 2017

It definitely should not be merged into std_msgs. That holds only simple wrappers of primative datatypes that are not recommended for general usage. You should simply use the underlying primitives and give them semantic meaning.

The place we could consider moving them to is [common_msgs](http://www.ros.org/wiki/common_msgs) however there's no significant advantage to moving them to the same repository. And it has a disadvantage that it adds cross coupling when checking out from source.

The main reason to consider integrating that package into common_msgs would be if we wanted to integrate UniqueId into a different message in common_msgs which would require the integration to avoid circular dependencies between repos. Otherwise I'd generally recommend leaving things as they are.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/uuid-in-std-msgs/1941/6) or reply to this email to respond.