[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Keys in msg

William Woodall ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 21:56:24 UTC 2017

We've discussed it before, but it's largely seen as overlapping in functionality with topic namespaces.

If you have a use case that is made possible with keys, then that would be interesting to hear about it.

However, there are quite a few little details for implementing the key field which are not straightforward to me, like:

- each vendor has its own way of defining them
- dealing with key fields in nested messages
- use of them has to be made visible from all of the ROS tools

Probably other things I cannot even think of now. So unless there is a big use case which is not possible with namespaced topics, I think we'd probably not expose it.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/keys-in-msg/1942/2) or reply to this email to respond.