[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Computer Vision / Perception] Avoiding Small Obstacles on the Gruond

Alex Reimann ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 01:42:01 UTC 2017

Nope, 0.3 cm. I might stretch it a bit with that, but I did some tests with the Asus Xtion before where I got it down to detect reliably obstacles with around ~1 cm without trying too hard ([calibration video](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL3HjvxNNoc&t=56), [repo](https://github.com/AlexReimann/depth_calibration) or [more up to date repo](https://github.com/yujinrobot/depth_calibration), basically comes from [this paper](http://ai2-s2-pdfs.s3.amazonaws.com/193c/9974f85ab12636cb9bfdcabd345393c357d4.pdf)).
But this actually turned out to be infeasible because our sensor is mounted quite high and the uneven ground (at least in our office) tilts the robot so much that the sensor accuracy is higher than the variance we get from the ground :'(

With the Orbbec you probably have to look into the IR image calibration and see if you need additional calibration (and if you can figure out a way to do that, which is probably non-trivial).
I heard that some of the Intel guys are working on doing obstacle segmentation from ground by vision / with their 3D sensor. Maybe contact them.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/avoiding-small-obstacles-on-the-gruond/1939/7) or reply to this email to respond.