[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [OpenEmbedded] Using ROS in commercial OpenEmbedded environment?

Mike Thompson ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 22:03:05 UTC 2017

Dmitry, thanks for the response.

For good historical reasons, ROS seems strongly focused around Ubuntu as a base platform, but Ubuntu isn't really suitable platform for actual embedded products intended to work in a ROS ecosystem.  Its akin to placing an aircraft carrier nuclear power plant into a speed boat.  I'm very happy and grateful to see that others had already blazed the trail on getting ROS working over OpenEmbedded as it at least sets a direction and makes the integration possible, even if it is not easy.

I'm just at the beginning of this process, but I'll be happy to share my experience with others as our development progresses on a commercial product based on ROS running on an OpenEmbedded-based custom Linux.  Hopefully I'll find others on a similar journey with which to compare notes.

Mike

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/using-ros-in-commercial-openembedded-environment/1428/4) or reply to this email to respond.