[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [MoveIt! Developers] Maintainer Meeting Recap - March 7th

Dave Coleman ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 02:29:11 UTC 2017

Recap of the meeting from March 7th, 2017:

**Attendees**

* Michael 'v4hn' Grner
* Robert Haschke
* Isaac IY Saito
* Jorge Nicho
* Shaun Edwards
* G.A. vd. Hoorn
* Paul Hvass
* Christian Dornhege
* Dave Coleman

**Releasing ROS Lunar and branching policy**

* Keep development in kinetic-devel branch as long as possible
* If we have to branch for Lunar, we will also still develop out of Kinetic
* Drop support for Jade, just like the main ROS release will
* Only add bug fixes for indigo-devel branch
* Accept pull requests to kinetic-devel branch that allow for backward compatibility with ROS Indigo

**MoveIt! 1.0 roadmap**

* An exhaustive interface review of the current API is impractical
* Decouple the meaning of MoveIt!'s major version number from ROS 2.0
* Stop using minor versions to indicate ROS release
* Increment major versions more often to indicate API changes

**ROS 2.0 and nodelets roadmap**

* We desire to integrate ROS 2.0 with MoveIt!, but it is not highest priority
* This effort would require funding and a dedicated full-time developer
* MoveIt! would be a good poster child candidate for pushing the entire ROS community to adopt ROS 2.0
* Desired features include the DDS communication layer and switching our plugin based architecture to nodelets
* We would likely rename MoveIt! to MoveIt! 2.0
* There are still many dependencies we are waiting for, such as URDF 2.0
* Needs further discussion with OSRF team

**Merging Descartes back into MoveIt!**

* Everyone is very excited to proceed with this effort
* Best approach is likely to create a new MoveIt! capability that calls Descartes
* Need to define new ROS message types

**Required PR reviews enforced on Github**

* Decided against enabling this feature because it does not solve a current problem and only makes merging PRs more difficult

**Google Summer of Code**

* MoveIt! applied to the Google Summer of Code through the OSRF parent organization, which was not accepted
* We are still interested in doing some summer code sprints outside of Google
* Funding sources with high potential were discussed

**New Video Montage**

* Our previous montage is dated from 2013
* Paul Hvass will be leading the call for videos along with ROS-Industrial

Thanks to the maintainers who joined the call.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/maintainer-meeting-recap-march-7th/1442/1) or reply to this email to respond.