[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Fast RTPS Discovery

Adam Stambler ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue May 2 01:05:38 UTC 2017

Does the ROS2 Fast RTPS perform any special default configuration for  discovery?

Before diving into using ROS2 on top of DDS, I tried using Fast RTPS in a separate simple program.  Overall it was worked well.  However, my publisher and subscriber are operating on different computers and sometimes have trouble discovering each other quickly.  This was improved by setting the Participant parameters  lease duration announcement period to 2 seconds from a default of 250 seconds.  Now most of the time the programs discover each other within the first 30 seconds of launch.  However, sometimes the programs never discover each other.

Have folks experimented with better tuning for the discovery configuration?  The default of 250 seconds to find a new node would be unacceptable in most ROS systems.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/fast-rtps-discovery/1777/1) or reply to this email to respond.