[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Releasing repositories form "other" people

Dirk Thomas ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu May 4 15:00:25 UTC 2017

We have currently multiple PRs pending which release packages from "other" people (new versions and/or into more ROS distros). Either because the previous / current maintainer doesn't respond or doesn't want to do the work. In general it is a great thing that someone takes over the effort of releasing new versions.

But I have one concern with that approach. The person making the rosdistro PR is commonly not listed as a maintainer in the upstream package. As a consequence the person doesn't get notified if the packages they released fails now or in the future on the buildfarm.

While the new releases clearly have a benefit I think we should clarify what we expect in this case:
* is it ok, that essentially nobody will act on such failures (the maintainer is already not acting now so it is unexpected they will on future email)?
* should the person release the packages add himself to the manifest in the release repo to ensure that he gets notified?
* (and other approach you can imagine)?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/releasing-repositories-form-other-people/1797/1) or reply to this email to respond.