[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Packaging and Release Management] Releasing repositories form "other" people

Geoffrey Biggs ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sun May 7 22:55:16 UTC 2017

>From the [Debian Policy Manual](https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html):

> An orphaned package is one with no current maintainer. Orphaned packages should have their Maintainer control field set to Debian QA Group <packages at qa.debian.org>. These packages are considered maintained by the Debian project as a whole until someone else volunteers to take over maintenance.

The above is official policy. It references the Debian Developer's Reference, which is considered non-normative but best practice. The relevant sections are [5.9.4, Orphaning a package](https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch05.en.html#orphaning) and [5.9.5, Adopting a package](https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch05.en.html#adopting) (I note that the situation with `usb_cam` may have been considered by Debian to be package hijacking). Also relevant is [7.4, Dealing with inactive and/or unreachable maintainers](https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch07.en.html#mia-qa).

I think the Debian policy and procedure sounds good. It requires a bit of infrastructure work, but nothing too burdensome. It relies on having a known "QA group" but I feel that the OSRF could fill this role.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/releasing-repositories-form-other-people/1797/4) or reply to this email to respond.