[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Ros.org latency & availability

William Woodall ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 22:51:33 UTC 2017

We've tried varnish in the past, but ran into issues where it was too aggressive in caching, so we had to add exceptions to pages, but those pages and actions ended up being the ones that constituted the majority of the overhead in hosting.

For example, we identified in the past that wiki attachments are a good deal of the large traffic spikes and tried to cache those, but the problem with that is there are ACL like settings for wiki attachments, so fetching an attachment must go through moinmoin's runtime so that it can check whether or not the currently logged in user has access according to the current security settings. I'm sure there is a way to handle this and still benefit from varnish, but there's no out-of-the-box setup for varnish + moinmoin that we've found to handle things like this.

Out hosting providers recently suggested varnish again too, so maybe we/they will look into more.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-org-latency-availability/1628/12) or reply to this email to respond.