[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Why don't we use ROS?

Walter Lucetti ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 10:46:24 UTC 2017

Hi @davecrawley ,
I like your answer because you think exactly as I do. I'm a computer engineer, I follow ROS since its first versions but I was skeptical. I'm a Computer Engineer, I can write software very well, I want to do my own framework for my robot, I do not want someone doing this work for me... this was my opinion.
I spent two or more years to write my own software for an autonomous ground robot, and it worked ... more or less.

There was a big problem with my work: I WAS NOT MAKING ROBOTICS, I was making Computer Science!

I figured it out, so I decided to move to ROS and in less than a month I reached the same level of work I did in two years and the next month my robot reached a level not minimalally comparable to 3 months before.

So **Why do I use ROS?** _**Because I want to make ROBOTICS**_, I want to concentrate on Robotics tasks, I do not want to spend time writing a wonderful TCP/UDP protocol, creating awesome message structures, thinking about amazing software infrastructures, creating debugging tools.
I want to study Computer Vision algorithms, Artificial Intelligence paradigms, Intelligent Navigation Behavior. This is what ROS allows: **WORKING ON ROBOTICS**

So, to reply to the question of this thread: "Why don't we use ROS?" "Because you like to reinvent the wheels"

Walter

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/why-dont-we-use-ros/3161/22) or reply to this email to respond.