[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Rviz build on Linux

Andreas Greimel ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 15:32:35 UTC 2017

Hi Chris, thanks for documenting the RViz dependencies!

We are aware that the build instructions are not very clear right now.
The following pull request should make it clearer:
https://github.com/ros2/rviz/pull/117

Some comments regarding your findings:
- Thanks to your post I noticed that the instructions still missed curl in the dependency list and added it.
- FreeImage is currently not required for building RViz. The error message is printed but it is not relevant for now.
- SDL is built automatically together with OGRE. It should therefore not be necessary to install the apt package.
However, installing the SDL apt package also installs two required dependencies, namely `libgles2-mesa-dev` and `libglu1-mesa-dev`. These are included in the new build instructions.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/rviz-build-on-linux/3225/3) or reply to this email to respond.