[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Status on configurable topic renames and qos?

Brannon King ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 21:11:39 UTC 2017

What is the plan and status on being able to rename topics from the command line?

I see that we are getting argv passed into rclcpp::init. That means we should be able to make use of some command line parameters deep in the node. I would like something like this for renames:

my_node --ros_topic_rename /compiled-in_topic_name /new_topic_name

and like this for duplicating output or handling multiple input messages:

my_node --ros_topic_clone /compiled-in_topic_name /additional_topic_name

and like this for silencing output (or maybe ignoring input) when there is a conflict:

my_node --ros_topic_silenced /compiled-in_topic_name

and like this for qos:

my_node --ros_topic_qos /compiled-in_topic_name standard_qos_identifier

And what did we decide on the clock? Something like this?

my_node --ros_clock_topic /clock

I still think an environment variable for the clock would be useful as the same thing would apply to many nodes.

Command line parameters or environment variables to put all topics into a partition also seems useful to me.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/status-on-configurable-topic-renames-and-qos/3263/1) or reply to this email to respond.