[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Pushing ROS to get standardized - ROSCon 2017 Lightning Talk

Irati Zamalloa ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 15:13:30 UTC 2017

**Information model**, the documentation that will describe how to create standard robot modules.

I would like to share with all of you the Lightning Talk I made at ROSCon 2017: the transcript + slides. Feel free to ask any questions or give your feedback: irati at erlerobotics.com

Thanks!

**Information model**

![image|460x258](upload://w9qdbrK1V5NkeEIw5EXoZbUevgG.png)

Good evening, I am Irati Zamalloa, an industrial design engineer from [Erle Robotics](http://erlerobotics.com/blog/).

As all of you know, we are working on H-ROS, the [Hardware Robot Operating System](http://h-ros.com), to offer the world standard modules for building robots.

The standardization require that every detail fit like a tetris, so I would like to introduce one of the key pieces, the information model.

![image|690x194](upload://r4YdkJJgK0QBXlVcoIUNq0YERY0.jpg)

**What is an H-ROS Information model?**

It is a set of rules and specifications to create an standard robot modules.

H-ROS remove components integration, we eliminate the necessary effort to achieve communication between devices, almost 70% time over the total.

If we translate this to ROS, we need all the modules to contain the same topics, messages services, actions and parameters, to make sure that all of them speak the same language at all levels.

And the information model is the document that describes all the details.

**Building process**

We are pushing ROS to get standardized. We believe in ROS, but we also believe that it needs a step more, and get the next level of acceptance. That is why we are working actively with international organizations like ISO or OMG.

It will help to build a solid infrastructure from the ground up and make the H-ROS information model a reference document to create standard robotic modules.

Thank you for your time! And if anybody wants to know more about the **H-ROS information model**, come talk to me! Thank you!

Irati Zamalloa
_Industrial Design Engineer_
irati at erlerobotics.com

---