[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] Pushing ROS to get standardized - ROSCon 2017 Lightning Talk

Irati Zamalloa ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 17:28:07 UTC 2017

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your interest in our standardization process. This work is being pushed by our engineers to a number of OMG and ISO (slow process which involves getting parts of our Information Model at the core of these documents that are being written) working groups. A good example is the work thats happening in ISO 299.

The Information Model standardizes ROS messages and its written using ROS messages syntax. It could be implemented with different middlewares (DDS is only one option, you could use other choices). With H-ROS we are aiming to create standardized robotics hardware, so, the Information Model is the baseline which ensures that all the modules are able to interoperate (even from different manufacturers, you will only have to connect them together). Accordingy, part of the Information Model is created specifically for H-ROS, but I have to say, that I'm taking care of making it as modular as posible, so that in the future, you can all take advantage of this work. We are working very hard to open the Information Model as soon as posible, please stay tuned.

Although its still a work in progress, our current implementation of the Information Model is based in ROS 2 however were interested in getting contributions from the community to port these same abstractions to ROS and other alternatives. Would you be open to collaborate with this? If so, could you share how much time you could commit?

Thanks,
Irati

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/pushing-ros-to-get-standardized-roscon-2017-lightning-talk/2812/3) or reply to this email to respond.