[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Design By Contract

Ingo Lütkebohle ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 12:40:37 UTC 2017

While I'm a big fan of automatic checking, I wonder which problem(s) this proposal tries to solve.

This is not to say there are no problems. I just think it would help the discussion a lot if we knew what people here are  interested in, in terms of outward behavior of system.

The proposed contracts relate to a) rates and b) response times. From my own work, I know that rate information is necessary but not sufficient for determining whether a system can have sampling effects. I am also strongly of the opinion that rates should be a property of a *system*, not a component.

I don't know of much utility, but a great deal of problems, in specifying response times for a distributed system, particularly one with one very little real-time support, such as ROS or ROS2. If you really care about that, put your stuff into one process and ensure response times in the usual means, which have little do to with ROS.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/design-by-contract/2405/29) or reply to this email to respond.