[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS/Troubleshooting] Ament Build with Proxy Setup

Tully Foote ros.discourse at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 08:19:23 UTC 2017

It would be great to avoid relying on the environment variables. However this is libcurl, being called by a [standard CMake function](https://cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.0/module/ExternalProject.html) from a [pure CMake package](https://github.com/ros2/poco_vendor). And the top searches for cmake and proxy seem to suggest that they also recommend the environment varialbe approach too. [1](https://cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2009-May/029537.html) [2](https://cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2010-March/035772.html)  There's some recent traffic for making it a setting in the cmake-gui but that's also been stated as [unlikely](https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/17182). As far as I know there's no standard way besides using an environment variable to use a proxy within a CMake build. It also appears to be the [recommended approach to for distutils](https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2008-October/010421.html) or [setuptools](https://stackoverflow.com/a/13733377/604099)in
  python.

When we integrate a tool that doesn't use/respect the environment variables we should definitely make sure to pass it through appropriately but until then I don't think we'll want to increase the complexity and just let the environment variables pass through, and that can likely be specific to that buildsystem's integration implementation.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ament-build-with-proxy-setup/2913/6) or reply to this email to respond.