[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] [notice] Removal of Arial in rviz caused breaking changes

William Woodall ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 18:28:00 UTC 2017

I recently removed the copy of the Arial font we were distributing in `rviz` and replaced it with Liberation Sans [1]. This was done in Indigo, Jade, Kinetic, and Lunar.

At the time I thought other plugins would be reusing the code that was used to do moving text in rviz (avoiding a reference to Arial themselves), but that doesn't appear to be the case and several users have run into issues [2][3][4].

There's not a workaround at the moment, but the fix should be straightforward. I'll try to expedite the release of these packages to public if I can.

If anyone has time to do testing higher level packages in the "shadow repository"[5] between syncs to public that would help us catch these mistakes before they get to users and it would be much appreciated.

Thanks and sorry again for the disruption,

[1] https://github.com/ros-visualization/rviz/pull/1141
[2] https://answers.ros.org/question/271750/error-when-trying-to-launch-moveit-created-robot-model/
[3] https://github.com/ros-planning/moveit/issues/624
[4] https://github.com/orikuma/jsk_visualization/commit/69c456a5fc095a73b50cfd24fe7d7a605a5467cc