[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Ros_comm - request for help

Thibault Kruse ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 02:31:57 UTC 2018

[quote="dirk-thomas, post:1, topic:5840, full:true"]
To understand why that is the case I have to mention a bit about my work time at Open Robotics. As you’ve surely noticed over the past few years, our development focus is on ROS 2.
[/quote]

You left out the part where OSRF decided to make all of ROS2 independent and incompatible to ROS1, causing a split in the community, and duplicating all maintenance efforts. Don't you think that this is part of the reason?

[quote="dirk-thomas, post:1, topic:5840, full:true"]
So what can we do about it? Ultimately we need more people to volunteer to help with the effort of maintaining these packages.
[/quote]

You do not mention the possibility of migrating the ROS1 community as a whole to ROS2. But maybe even OSRF has given up hope of achieving that anytime soon after making the migration path so difficult.

[quote="dirk-thomas, post:1, topic:5840, full:true"]
Open Robotics doesn't have the resources available to allocate to these tasks so we can't expect any additional time to "magically" become available. While any kind of help is highly appreciated we are looking for people which want to help for a longer time period and on a regular base with these tasks.
[/quote]

You really mean OSRF is looking to hand over ROS1 to some other organisation, like an actual open-source robotics foundation?

So will OSRF make a presentation at next ROSCon about how ROS1 is dead, given ros_comm is unmaintained? Might go nicely along with other presentations showing new ROS1 packages.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros-comm-request-for-help/5840/5) or reply to this email to respond.