[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] ROS2 on microcontrollers with RIOT

Loïc Dauphin ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 12:19:56 UTC 2018

Hello !

I haven't posted news from [the project](https://github.com/astralien3000/riot-ros2) for a long time now, but here is the summary of my last developments :

 - I have updated the ros2 packages I use from beta2 to arment !
 - I have improved the build system integration between Ament and RIOT, now the build process looks much more like the [official crosscompilation for arm](https://github.com/ros2/ros2/tree/master/arm_crosscompilation).
- I don't need to modify the official packages' CMakeLists.txt anymore, so that future update will be easier.

In the other hand, I also removed some features that I have no time to maintain anymore (be understanding, I'm working alone on this project :sweat:) :

- removed rmw_mqtt implementation
- removed some examples

Also, my implementation of rclc (ROS Client Library for C) has recently been merged with the [official rclc repository](https://github.com/ros2/rclc) (many thanks to the reviewers). I could not reach the point where it would be included in the official ROS2 stack, but at least it is usable with the normal ROS2 stack and the RIOT-ROS2 stack ! You can check [these examples](https://github.com/astralien3000/examples/tree/master/rclc) for trying with the normal stack.

My roadmap for this year is :

- to complete rclc so that it may be included in a future ROS2 version
- to have a full implementation of topics, services and discovery with rmw_ndn.
- to update to newer versions of RIOT
- to write some example tutorials for using on a microcontroller (the main benefit of my project :smile:)
- to build a complete autonomous robot with this project (and take part to the [Eurobot competition](http://www.eurobot.org/eurobot/eurobot-2018))

Of course any contribution is welcome, even just saying that it does not work on your computer !

Cheers !

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/ros2-on-microcontrollers-with-riot/1293/11) or reply to this email to respond.