[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] New Packages for Indigo 2017-12-26

Mikael Arguedas ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 02:12:10 UTC 2018

Thanks @flixr for reporting. We had the discussion on the [github ticket](https://github.com/ros/nodelet_core/pull/61) but I will summarize here for visibility:

[quote="flixr, post:2, topic:3541"]
Was this an accidental oversight or should we not expect to be able to build our own internal debian packages with out the need to recompile them when there is a new distro sync?
[/quote]

Yes it was an oversight and I apologize for the breakage and trouble it caused.
We try not to break ABI in low level packages as much as possible. As pointed out above there is not much that can be done now as the ABI breakage has been released (and that some distribution use this ABI for [several months now](https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/pull/15631).

That being said all the ROS tools and infrastructure assume ABI incompatibility and every package is rebuilt if one of their dependency changes. So package consumer should not assume ABI compatibility, and assume they have to rebuild the debs on top of the released ones after a sync.

A new [package format](http://www.ros.org/reps/rep-0149.html#abi-version-attribute) has been proposed to allow packages to provide "compatibility version" information. We plan in the future to support that format in our tools and to provide infrastructure to check ABI and reject releases if a package is advertised as ABI compatible but is not. Note that this will be an opt-in choice and that package maintainers can choose to release ABI breaking changes anyway.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/new-packages-for-indigo-2017-12-26/3541/4) or reply to this email to respond.