[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Discussion on Rviz rewrite

Patrick Beeson ros.discourse at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 13:36:42 UTC 2018

Sure I understand the desire to not want to rewrite from scratch.  Let me state the other side as I see it.  If you were to redo Rviz using three.js or Babylon.js, then you eliminate any need for third party apps as a browser becomes your 3D rendering environment.  Of course adding plugins and other Qt-style

Menus means people have to write Web apps, but In some sense thats easier for certain individuals.  Also, the open source communities behind these webgl platforms is large so perhaps it might spur more outside (of OSRF) development from people that are intimidated by Rviz.

I realize that I have changed from the original Unreal/Unity approach I mentioned at the start of this thread to a webgl approach, but this is in response to any licensing issues with Unity or Unreal (though for free/open source, I dont see any real challenges with Unreal or Unity either).

I realize that bringing these issues up now (rather than a year ago) might not be helpful, but we are trying to plan how to make th Ros2 jump in the near future without the Interactive Markers and other Rviz tools that our navigation and manipulation frameworks are built on top of.  We need to replace those with something.

---

[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-rviz-rewrite/4965/4) or reply to this email to respond.