[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Discussion on Rviz rewrite

Alexander Rössler ros.discourse at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 15:11:57 UTC 2018

A complete rewrite is rarely a good idea. If you want a web-based RViz then just write a new one, no need to throw away everything that has been developed in the last 10 years.

I also don't think that web apps are the solution for everything. From my personal experience, I can say they are a lot harder to develop for non-web-developers than Qt/C++ or Qt/Python applications. As ROS is used quite a lot in academics and starting to get used in the industry, where Qt is the dominating GUI framework, I would not like the decision to move to the web.

However, I agree that Ogre is not perfect. three.js, for example, could also be used in combination with Qt. Did you know that the Qt guys are already working on several methods to support web browsers? If that is what you are looking for google Qt WebGL rendering and Qt WebAssembly.

Well, we can have a quite deep discussion about the reasons for using Qt compared to web applications here, but I don't think they would lead to something. My personal preference is Qt because I work on industrial HMIs, if you work on something more consumer-focused then probably web apps would be your choice, long-term support and consistency are key in industrial environments.

Unity or Unreal are probably not a good fit for an open source software project altogether. But I may be wrong here.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/discussion-on-rviz-rewrite/4965/5) or reply to this email to respond.