[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [General] Local roscon benefit

gerkey ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 18:49:41 UTC 2018

Speaking for Open Robotics (and specifically for our non-profit parent organization OSRF, which is the owner of the ROSCon trademark and organizer of the main ROSCon event): I'm really excited about this development. Over the years we've had numerous inquiries about doing ROSCon events that are localized (by region and/or language) or customized (by region, institution, and/or application domain). When @gbiggs came to us with a concrete proposal for doing ROSCon JP, we decided to give it a try.

Working with @gbiggs and the ROSCon Organizing Committee, we drafted a Rules of ROSCon document that explains the essential characteristics that make an event a ROSCon event and also the terms under which we may choose to license the ROSCon name for use with such an event.

We're using ROSCon JP in September this year as the first trial of this new idea. If it goes well (I'm confident that it will, but I'll be there myself to check :slight_smile:), then we'll refine and publish the Rule of ROSCon and set up a way for other would-be organizers to propose their own ROSCon events. So stay tuned for that. And if you want to start work on an event in the meantime, contact us directly and we'll discuss it with you.

To be clear, we don't want to get in the middle of the various ROS-related events that happen around the world already, from local user group meetings to tutorials to summer schools. Those are great events that happen on their own without our involvement. We're looking after the **ROSCon** name, ensuring that people know what it means when they're attending an event that uses that name, and also providing guidance and advice to organizers of such events.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/local-roscon-benefit/5064/8) or reply to this email to respond.