[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Latency and throughput in ROS2

Andreas Pasternak ros.discourse at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 22:41:20 UTC 2018

Hi @astralien3000,

I am the maintainer of the performance test tool.

If you already have RMW implementation which supports pub/sub you should be able to directly test your communication mean without any additional work. You just need to set the proper environment variable `RMW_IMPLEMENTATION=rmw_ndn` before starting the tool.

It can not messure latency based on application layers unfortunately, for this it would have to be invasive in all these layers.

But you can create a new communication plugin for the NDN transport as I did for FastRTPS here:  https://github.com/ApexAI/performance_test/blob/master/performance_test/src/communication_abstractions/fast_rtps_communicator.hpp.

This will allow you to compare only the communication frameworks performance and will also give you some insight over the overhead the various RMW layers introduce.

If you run into issues implementing the plugin I will be glad to support you.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/latency-and-throughput-in-ros2/4367/6) or reply to this email to respond.