[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [Next Generation ROS] Colcon / amend_tools /?

Álex ros.discourse at gmail.com
Thu May 3 14:19:06 UTC 2018

I'm trying to ascertain how to best integrate the Ada tooling into the build process of ROS2. I thought that amend_tools was the way to go, seeing that Java, D, Rust all go that route.

Almost by chance I have seen [Issue #168](https://github.com/ros2/design/pull/168) in the ros2/design repo where it says colcon is the new build tool. But in the top of http://design.ros2.org/articles/build_tool.html it says nobody is working towards this. Also I find no thread in the Discourse with colcon in it. http://design.ros2.org/articles/ament.html doesn't mention it either.

I'm a bit confused at this point. Further, the separation between build tool and build system argued in the colcon page seems to be one of the features of amend_tool.

My instinct tells me to forget about colcon and work with amend_tools, but I might be missing the big picture.

So... any thoughts on this?

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/colcon-amend-tools/4685/1) or reply to this email to respond.