[ros-users] [Discourse.ros.org] [ROS Projects] TZC: Efficient Inter-Process Communication for Robotics Middleware with Partial Serialization

Yu-Ping Wang ros.discourse at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 16:10:10 UTC 2018

In fact, shm_transport is our previous work and TZC is based on it.

Soon after we open-sourced shm_transport, we found that it is much like ETHZ-ASL shared-memory framework in terms of performance. Both shm_transport and ETHZ-ASL avoid copying operations by serializing each message into shared-memory at the publisher side and de-serializing it at the subscriber side. Such a mechanism can reduce the latency by 2-3 times comparing with ROS. However, we were not satisfied because the serialization operations are still a performance bottleneck. Thus, TZC is inspired.

TZC not only avoid copying operations, but also avoid serialization operations for most of the data. Therefore, the latency no longer increases with the message size grows which is good for large message transmission.

---
[Visit Topic](https://discourse.ros.org/t/tzc-efficient-inter-process-communication-for-robotics-middleware-with-partial-serialization/6264/12) or reply to this email to respond.